Saturday, October 15, 2005

Equally Far, Equally Close

You are still worldly. For since there is jealousy and quarrelling among you, are you not worldly? Are you not acting like mere men? For when one says, "I follow Paul," and another, "I follow Apollos," are you not mere men? (1 Corinthians 3:3-4)

God addresses each of us personally, calling us to be in a personal relationship with Him. But such a personal relationship with God is not possible in any other way, but in the community of those whom He has called. In the community there are no higher ranked and lower ranked people, those who are closer to God and those who are farther from him. No, everybody is at an equal distance from God. Just as the points that make up the circle are at an equal distance from the center of the circle.

The most important question is this: is God in the center of our community? If not, other, less important things will take His place. The spiritual gifts, the gift of speaking wisely, the gift of healing, the gift of prophecy etc., will take the place of the Giver.

I follow Paul, I follow Apollos. Such sentences indicate that the centrally important person is I. But there is only one I AM.

There were presumably several people in the community of Corinth who said, we follow Christ. But even a statement like this can be harmful. If I follow Christ in such a manner that I am distant to my fellows, thinking that I am the only one who has true faith, the only one who has a close relationship with God, thus shunning and judging them, I separate myself from the community. I am still worldly.

[GEN, (c)2004]

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home