Saturday, August 20, 2005

Accepting Blessing

And Jacob called his sons and said, "Gather that I may tell you what shall happen to you in the days to come... "Reuben, you are my firstborn... you shall not have preeminence... Simeon and Levi... Cursed be their anger,... Asher... will yield royal dainties."... All these are the twelve tribes of Israel, and this is what their father said to them when he blessed them. He blessed them, every one with the blessing appropriate to him.
(Genesis 49:1-28)

Jacob gives this amazing pronouncement to his sons, talking to each of them in turn, and at the end the writer matter-of-factly says, "All these are the twelve tribes of Israel, and this is what their father said to them when he blessed them. He blessed them, every one with the blessing appropriate to him." What kind of bizarre blessing is this, this strange litany of cold facts and rebuke?

Our modern understanding of blessing and benediction is that it means possibly saying something nice about someone and wishing them well for the future. Jacob’s words to his sons, however, tell them who they are today and where they are heading based on this. He describes his sons in turn: "Reuben, you are my first-born; Simeon and Levi are brothers; Their swords are implements of violence; Issachar is a strong donkey; Joseph is a fruitful bough;" and so on. Some are criticized quite harshly for their past behavior, while others receive no remonstrance; some get just a few words, while others get many.

Yet there is no mention of any murmuring among the brothers. Everyone accepts what Jacob said as "the blessing appropriate to him." I am so often consumed with what God is saying to my brother, with what God is giving my brother. Peter also says to Jesus, about John, "Lord, what about this man?" (John 21:21) But my only concern should be with what God is saying to me. Who does God say I am? What is He showing me about myself? Where is my life heading? I need God to bless me in this way, to show me my heart, to rebuke me, to direct me.

[AV, (c)2003]

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home